Does your Business or Organisation require Kitchen Extraction Deep Cleaning to TR19?
The kitchen is definitely one place where you cannot afford to let your standards slip – not only for Hygiene, Health & Safety and Legal reasons but more importantly for the safety of your own staff.
The accumulation of grease deposits in extraction systems present a significant fire hazard . Apart from the fire risk, the accumulation of grease in the extraction system reduces ventilation efficiency resulting in overheating , excessive humidity and a continuing source of unwanted odours.
Insurance Companies require that grease extract systems are inspected regularly and cleaned a minimum of once a year depending upon the number and type of meals served. Health & Safety Regulations also carry requirements for the inspection, monitoring and cleanliness of systems & the Regulatory Reform (fire safety) 2004 act requires a ‘responsible person’ either owner or person in charge of the building to carry fire risk assessments and reduce or remove the risks. Grease extract cleaning is one area that falls under this section.
The minimum recommended intervals for deep cleaning the extraction system are dependent upon the usage of the kitchen :-
Frequency of Cleaning
Heavy Use – 12-16 hours per day – Quarterly Cleans
Medium Use – 6-12 hours per day – Six Monthly
Light Use – 2-6 hours per day – Annual
There are areas that you can check yourself to ensure the current state of your system ;
1. Make sure you know where your ducting runs from the Canopy
2. Look at your Filters in the Canopy – How dirty are they ?
3. Take out one of your filters and look at the run behind it – How much grease is in the chamber ?
4. If the ducting run from the Canopy is longer than three metres are there any access doors in the system ? If not how has it been cleaned?
5. Finally ensure you know where the Fan and extract grid are – check if the fan blades are grease free and the grid clean.
If there is a lot of grease anywhere in the areas of the questions above it is likely that your system needs a clean.